Dining Room Display Hutch (SOLD)
Dimensions: 67" wide x 84" tall x 19.5" deep
Woods: Knotty, Burled, and Wormy White Oak, Walnut slab tops with
natural edge, walnut joinery pegs and butterfly dovetails
Secondary woods are White Oak and Walnut.
Drawer Boxes are dovetailed and made from walnut with Knotty White
drawer fronts. The same board runs through all 3 drawers.
Finish: no stain, clear nitrocellulose lacquer
Handles: real Kansas Whitetail Deer natural shed Antlers
Construction Style: all mortise and tenon, all solid wood components,
no plywood used.
Side Panel Carvings: Left Side: customer's homesite Right Side:
Clements, KS Old Stone Arch Bridge
Lettering Carving: Psalm 97.1: "The Lord Reigns, Let the Earth
This Hutch has been built to be part of a Dining Set, including
a Dining Table and Chairs, not yet built.
This piece has been designed, carved, & built by M.DeCou 2006.
Photo credits to Trey Allen of www.treyallen.com
of Wichita, KS
Laptop Computer Desk, with Carved Panel inspired by the late-Birger
This is a
commissioned project for a past client. They needed a laptop computer
desk to sit off the side of the kitchen, and wanted it to match
the existing Birch Cabinets built in the early 1960's. They also
wanted a carved panel on the front with my own original artwork
design, inspired by the work of Kansas artist, the late-Birger
What I designed was a tilt front desk to provide both a work surface,
and hidden storage, with open cookbook storage below. On top of
the desk, will sit another bookcase to hold Cookbooks.
The artwork I drew and carved is of a Kansas Flinthill's Prairie
homestead scene that I titled "Stone House on the Prairie."
I also built the hammered copper finger pull handle myself, as
working in copper is something I enjoy doing as well.
The carving has been airbrushed with tinted lacquer to add depth,
shadows, and to form the styling of a late-Birger Sandzen styled
- Wall Mirror 35" Tall x 28" Wide.
- Hand Sculpted Chip-Carved Kansas Black Walnut 5/4" thick
Construction is by corner Lap Joints, with Red Oak square pegs
- Hand Carved Star on the Crest, antiqued gold painted
- Hand Carved Lettering "Home on the Range" on the lettering
board, , antiqued gold painted
- Thick, clear, premium grade beveled 1" mirror
- Leather covered shelf under the mirror glass
- Hat Hooks are Kansas Whitetail Deer rosette end antlers (natural
- Coat Hooks are Kansas Whitetail Deer forked antlers (natural
- Signed, and numbered on the back
- Purchaser pays shipping
- This particular Mirror #1 is the first in a concept of mirrors
and accessories with chip-carved surfaces designed to fit in either
a Western, Rustic, Prairie Style, Cowboy, or Texas home. The crest
and lettering board can be custom ordered with names, branding
irons, animal carvings, or any idea you might have. Contact me
for a quote on your idea.
Communion Table (SOLD)
- Size: 32" High, 18" deep, 48" wide
- Solid Red Oak construction, stained in Early American Stain,
finished with lacquer
- Hand carved raised lettering "King of kings & Lord
of lords" on front side
- Hand carved raised lettering "Do this in Remembrance of
Me" on the backside
- Barley Twisted legs
- Ball Claw carved feet
- Porringer Style fancy top
- Slat shelf boards provide "Light and Airy" styling
Project: Church Sound Equipment Storage Cabinet (SOLD)
Woods: Red Oak, Burled Burr Oak, Flame Mahogany, Walnut
Glass: antique Barrister Office Glass
Roll Top: steel cabled tambour door
Burr Oak Wood Drawer and Tambour Door Handles are handmade
Design, Joinery, Carving, & Finishing by Mark DeCou
- Hand built with solid Red Oak Hardwood
Custom Cross Stitch Back Rest "As for me and my house, we
will serve the Lord"
- Umbrella stand holes in right side armrest
- Seat lifts up for added storage
- Solid Brass Hangers for Coats and hats
- Raised Panel construction on the base unit
- Mirror included
Box Table (Sold)
- Box Tables with double hinged doors, and adjustable interior shelf.
- Made from Poplar Wood and Baltic Birch Plywood Construction
- Lathe Turned Corner Post/Crate Construction
Hand Made Wood "Tiles" border the top edge and bottom
edge of the table
- Antiqued and painted by others.
- This particular set of tables were custom ordered.
- If you have a specific project in mind, please contact me for
a quote on your idea.
Bench Made by Mark DeCou (Bench Picture is "SOLD") Wood: Plain Sawn Red Oak, hand-selected